Why does Highton need a UDF?
The Village is thriving; the great businesses, the lovely garden character and unique shopping and dining experiences attract customers from far and wide. With this success brings challenges and opportunities for improvements.
It has been many years since the streetscapes in Highton Village were upgraded and many of the assets are looking tried. Parking and access can be difficult at times. The design of the infrastructure gives preference to cars over walkers and cyclists and this can be unsafe.
The Interim Final UDF includes:
- a community vision for the future Highton Village
- an overall urban framework plan to guide future investment and developments
- concept design of future streetscape upgrade works
- access and movement plan for vehicles, walkers and cyclists
- staged and costed implementation plan
- design guidelines for new developments within and around the centre to enhance the village character.
The study area for the project is the shopping area of Belle Vue Avenue and the surrounding residential area identified for increased housing.
Community consultation and engagement
During the development of the plan we have listened to community members and traders through a series of design workshops including;
- Community and trader design workshop in November 2016
- Targeted trader workshops in November 2018
- Further targeted trader workshops in May 2021
- We are now inviting submissions on the Interim Final UDF, closing 20 August 2021 (see below).
*Please note correction to page 69 - Planning zone map was out of date and has been corrected.
Artists impression of Belle Vue Arcade
Artists impression of Barrabool Service Road
Please provide feedback on the Interim Final Highton Urban Design Framework by 20 August 2021 by completing the online submission below or by posting your submission to:
Manager Urban Design and Heritage
Urban Design and Heritage Department
City of Greater Geelong
P.O. Box 104
Geelong VIC 3220