The engagement period for this project is now closed.
Thank you to everyone who has provided their feedback. A report regarding the Policy will be presented at the September 2022 Council meeting.
The City is currently reviewing the Public Transparency Policy.
Council resolved to review the policy within 2 years of adoption on 1 September 2020.
The policy was developed in accordance with section 57 of the Local Government Act 2020 (The Act), giving effect to the public transparency principles prescribed in section 58 of the Act. Broadly the policy:
- Acknowledges the importance of transparency in local government;
- Incorporates the overarching principles of the Act, that “the transparency of Council decisions, actions and information is to be ensured” (section 9(2)(i)); and
- Specifies which Council information must be publicly available (subject to any confidentiality or public interest considerations in the Act).
Council endorsed the draft Public Transparency Policy on the 26 July 2022 for community consultation until 17 August 2022. Council will consider adopting the policy by September 2022 following consideration of feedback received through this consultation.
The community is invited to have its say on the draft document for the next three weeks, with submissions closing 17 August 2022 at 5.00 p.m.
We recommend that you please read the policy in the Document Library section of this page before providing your submission (or feedback).
A public transparency policy adopted under the Act must:
- give effect to the public transparency principles
- describe the ways in which Council information is to be made publicly available
- specify which Council information must be publicly available, including all policies, plans and reports required under this Act or any other Act.
The draft Public Transparency Policy has been reviewed to formalise Council’s support for transparency in its decision-making processes and the public awareness of the availability of Council information.
The draft policy covers documentary information, process information and how information will be made available to the public and once adopted will become an integral part of Council’s Good Governance.
Submissions can be lodged:
Online below: or
By email at email@example.com; or
City of Greater Geelong,
PO Box 104,
Geelong VIC 3220
Privacy Clause - Important read this